Every mom or woman who is on Pinterest has seen various pins for a toddler’s teepee. Well with Liam transitioning into a new (bigger) room, I wanted to give him a spot to read and play. Also, his new room is huge and frankly I needed big items to fill it. So after browsing many teepee tutorials and styles via Pinterest and Google images, I got to work.
I then carried the boards to Liam’s room as I didn’t want to transport after assembly. I am pregnant after all. Also you can see that we finally removed the wallpaper and painted Liam’s room. The color is Metropolitan by Benjamin Moore.
I first assembled the boards and held them together with some ribbon I had in the other room.
I then bought a $14 drop cloth from Lowes to use as the cover. I simply draped the cloth around the teepee structure. You have to keep moving it and pulling the fabric tight to really figure out what gives you the most coverage.
However, I did want to add some color as it was looking pretty dull with only the drop cloth. So once I had all of the fabric draped, I picked a height and started chopping the fabric.
I picked up some navy canvas fabric from JoAnn’s (canvas so the navy fabric would have the same consistency as the drop cloth). I think I got around 6 yards and it was more than enough. I simply just started at one end and pinned to where I wanted to sew. The seams weren’t perfectly lined up but it didn’t bother me.
Sewing took the longest by far.
In the end, I changed out the ribbon at the top for some twine Andy picked up for me at Lowe’s. This actually helped the sturdiness of the teepee. I twisted the twine through each of the five boards and then around the whole thing several times. I also added some pillows and a blanket.